Paddle Canada Rolling Instructor Certification Course by Candlebox Kayaking
This certification opportunity is a unique collaboration between Candlebox Kayaking and BC based Sea Kayak Instruction and Leadership Systems (SKILS). This course provides national certification in the instruction and administration of the Paddle Canada Kayak Rolling skills clinic. A Kayak Rolling Instructor is certified to conduct Paddle Canada Kayak Rolling clinics and to instruct paddlers at that level.
- Candidates must be at least 16 years of age and hold certification as a basic kayak instructor.
- Current certification in first aid (14 hours) with CPR.
- The prospective candidate must have taught a minimum of two Basic Kayak Skills (or higher) courses within the past three years, being the lead instructor on at least one of those courses.
- The ability to roll a kayak confidently. It is strongly recommended that instructor candidates are able to roll confidently on both sides.
The Kayak Rolling Instructor candidate will be assessed by the following methods:
- Continuous assessment (by observation) of skills throughout the course.
- Written and/or oral presentations demonstrating ability to communicate course content.
- Ongoing assessment (by observation) of the candidate’s performance in the area of safety, self-care, care of equipment, group dynamics and leadership.
- A minimum of two demonstrations of teaching ability by each candidate, at least one of which shall be an “on water” session in which the candidate teaches a skill from the Kayak Rolling syllabus.
- Successful completion of a written test of approximately one hour in length (developed by the course director).
If working for a company as a kayak rolling coach, developing your own personal coaching skill set, or simply learning more about rolling a kayak interests you, this course is for you.
This course is one day in length.
Location: Shelburne Harbour Yacht Club and Marina
Sea kayak, and paddling gear included.