Paddle Canada Sea Kayak Level 1 Skills Instructor Training Course by Candlebox Kayaking
We're pleased to offer this unique collaboration between Candlebox Kayaking and BC based Sea Kayak Instruction and Leadership Systems (SKILS). This course provides national certification in the instruction and administration of the Paddle Canada Level-1 Skills course.
The Level-1 Instructor is certified to:
- Conduct Paddle Canada Waterfront Kayak, Basic Kayak and Level-1 Skills courses and certify paddlers at those levels.
- Assist a Level-2 Instructor on a Level-2 Skills course.
- Assist a Basic Kayak Instructor Trainer on a Basic Kayak Instructor or Waterfront Instructor course.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Paddle Canada Level-2 Skills
- Basic Kayak Instructor highly suggested.
- It is highly recommended that the prospective candidate have taught a minimum of two Basic Kayak Skills courses within the past three years, being the lead instructor on at least one of those courses.
- Current certification in first aid (14 hours) with CPR.
- 30 days in Level-1 conditions (including overnights).
The Level-1 Instructor candidate will be assessed by the following methods:
- Ongoing assessment (by observation) of the candidate’s performance in the areas of safety, self-care, care of equipment, group dynamics and leadership.
- Written and/or oral presentations demonstrating ability to communicate course content.
- A minimum of two demonstrations of teaching ability by each candidate, at least one of which shall be an “on water” session in which the candidate teaches a Level-1 Kayak skill.
- Successful completion of a written test of approximately one hour in length (developed by the course director).
If working as a sea kayak instructor in the growing sea kayaking industry interests you if you're on staff with a municipal recreation department and run kayak programs, or if you work at a camp that runs kayak programs, this is THE course for you. It offers certification to instruct or assist on a wide variety of sea kayak programs, making candidates an attractive asset to many companies and community organizations.
Location: Shelburne Harbour and Birchtown Bay
Sea kayak, and all paddling gear included.